Thursday, November 2, 2023

September 2023 - Outings

Outings in September:
September 2nd - Saturday
We all went to the Hummingbird Festival at Barfield Park.
It was so fun.  The kids and I learned so much about hummingbirds while we listened to an expert teach us for 45 minutes.  
Then the kids received passport books and went to different stations to learn even more about hummingbirds while doing some hands on activities.  
We also watched the expert mentioned before, band a hummingbird.  What does that mean?  Hummingbird banding is a process of placing a small metal band on the leg of a hummingbird to identify each individual bird and to collect data about its migration patterns, biometrics, and environmental health. (from google)

So the expert held the tiny bird in her hands and put the metal band on its leg and then released it.  Pretty cool.  

The kids also made some seed bombs and drew hummingbirds.  I bought a cute hummingbird Christmas ornament.  We enjoyed our outing.
Another day, we went to the library and then...
we fed the fish at the Discovery Center in Murfreesboro.


Sept. 9 Saturday - 
We went to a production of Lion King done by youth in the community.  It was really good!  

They sang and danced so well and the costumes were amazing too.
Some kids in our church participated in it, so it was fun to watch them perform.
Sunday pic...
Nels and I had a lunch date at First Watch.
It was delicious and somewhat unique too.  Fun to try something new and be together.

I signed the kids up to do the Children's Entrepreneur Market that was being held in Lebanon, TN.  We had about two weeks to prepare for it.  The kids worked so hard making things to sell.  I also had fun making a logo and a sign for them.  We decided to name our company "Made by Twins Handmade Gifts."  We accepted cash or Venmo.
The girls helped me make rice bags...

Isak made bead pet keychains.
The girls also made a lot of perler bead keychains.  And Kira made some yarn knitted snakes and origami.  
We set up the table at home to practice...
Kira made the poster board sign.
Our kids were super excited.  We all had high hopes of selling a lot of stuff.  So we were all pretty disappointed when we woke up Saturday morning on Sept 16 to pouring rain.  😢  It wasn't cancelled.  So we loaded up our stuff and drove a half hour to the location.
We tried to make the most of it.  :)

Nels bought us a canopy and I'm so glad we had it.  We mostly stayed dry.  Here's our set up.  

Cutest entrepreneurs ever.  :)
Nels and I took turns walking around with Sofie and Noah.  It was fun to see what other kids were selling. 
 There were not a lot of customers and they ended up closing two hours early.  We ended up selling 3 perler bead keychains and that's all.  The kids, especially Isak, were very disappointed.  But we learned a lot.  When I asked if they would want to try again, they all said yes.  So we'll see...
Another day, after school...I took the kids to a survival skills class at the Wilderness Station at Barfield Park.

The kids had so much fun learning different ways to start a fire.  Steel and Flint is what the kids got to experiment with.  Here's Isak trying it...



Poor Kira tried and tried to get her fire to start, but could not get it to go.  She did get a lot of sparks, but none of them caught on the cotton ball to start a fire.  It was very frustrating for her.  I was proud of her for trying so many times.  
Noah struggled too.  Luckily, the teacher helped him and got it started with him.
Now the kids want steel and flint for Christmas.  :)
Two dentist appointments for these girls...No cavities!  Yay!

Cute girls.
Nels and I met up for lunch at Mission BBQ.
The meat was so good!
Another Saturday, we did the 3 mile hike at Barfield.  Wow, I guess we went to Barfield a few times this month.



Thank goodness for these bird markers to guide us through our hike!

Another day...pretty clouds on my walk.
I did a YW activity called Chopped.  I bought a bunch of different ingredients and the girls made something out of them...Here were the prizes...sacks filled with candy. :)
Here's the table with ingredients.
And here's the girls creating...

Some of them were surprisingly yummy, according to the three YW judges.  We closed by comparing it to life...We can look at the different ingredients as blessings and gifts (or challenges in some cases) that we've been given and God can help us combine those into something wonderful.  Also, the scripture "all things work together for your good."  Romans 8:28.
Another outing...While the kids went to school, I did something I've been wanting to do for a while.  And even though I wasn't feeling that great and I kept trying to talk myself out of it...I just did it.  I went to a Rock Climbing gym!  
This was the kids section...but very fun too.  
I did a few climbs.  I was fine climbing up, but extremely nervous letting go of the wall and dropping down!  But I did it and I'm super proud of myself for trying something new.  

A quick evening walk with the kids...
We found a house that was already decorated for Halloween.  So fun!!
And those were the outings/experiences in September!

1 comment:

Mandi said...

Good job on the entrepreneurial endeavor! I would have bought one of each thing! The hummingbird exhibit also sounded really cool!