Monday, December 12, 2011

Canoe Trip Down the White River in Arkansas

On our drive to Arkansas, it snowed...in October!  Haha!  Just kidding.  The below picture is of a cotton field all ready to harvest.  I've never seen a cotton field.  It was beautiful, with white fields for miles.  I'm glad it was a pretty blue sky too.  Oh, what a beautiful world! 
So after the photo shoot (from the previous post), we enjoyed steaks at Colton's Steak House & Grill. 
The next morning we went down to the White River intent on canoeing.  The employees we were renting the canoe from scared me with stories of people falling out in the cold water.  I was ready to turn around and head back to the hotel when I heard that!  But Nels convinced me that we would be fine.  I didn't know it at the time, but Nels is an expert canoer thanks to Boy Scouts.  I was surprised I didn't know this, after all we've been married for 8 years. 
Don't you love when you learn something new about your spouse?? 

I'm happy to report.  I did not fall out.  In fact, I did not even get wet!  Hooray!

So here's some pictures of our adventure on the White River.

Nels, the canoe and half of an employee.
Isn't this gorgeous!
Nels, so happy to be canoeing on his birthday. 
The White River is a very well known fishing area.  This lodge flies people in on helicopters to go fishing!  We heard a few helicopters as we floated, I mean paddled down the river.
Me...So I wore my life jacket the whole time, except when we were taking pictures.  I'm not good with water.  And even though the river was less than four feet deep most of the time, I still wore my life jacket.  I was so scared for the first half hour of the trip. 

Nels was sweet and gave me tips as we went.  He would say, "you might want to hold your paddle like this...we can go faster if you go like this...we need to maneuver out of this motor boats way...etc."  He was very patient with me.

Towards the end I was getting used to it.
Nels relaxing...haha.
My one arm picture...not too bad I think.
I loved the cliffs and trees.
Pretty homes.

We took this picture at an observatory.  It's a great view of the river and the "mountains."
So will I go canoeing again?  Yes, I will, but I hope to go in warmer weather.  So if I do fall out I won't freeze to death.

 A picture of the dam for my Dad.  :)

2 comments:

Larysa said...

Wow. You are just full of updates. :) It is fun to see. Your Arkansas trip looks wonderful. I am glad you broke down and did it.

alyssa said...

You guys do so many fun trips! I love it:) I also love your hat, you'll have to tell me where you got it!!