Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Blanchard Springs Caverns

Our last day in Arkansas we traveled to Calico Rock.  We found a website that talked about a beautiful hike you could go on.  So we were pumped to do it.  We tried to find the hike, but all we found were these two pictures below:
Old Fashion Ice Cream Shop...but it was closed.
The town...seemed a little ghostly.  We decided to just keep going.
We pulled over on our drive and took this picture.  I think it's funny that you can see our white car and my arm taking the picture in my sunglasses.  The view was beautiful though.
We went to Blanchard Springs Caverns.


We descended 200 ft in an elevator to the caves below.  Neither us knew what to expect, but can I just say the caves were magically amazing!  The hour long tour was informative and creative.  They have lights that turn on and show different parts of the cave.  It was hard to take pictures, but I got a few.  We learned new words like:  Stalagmite (formations growing from the ground-up, Stalactite (growing from the ceiling-down), and Column (when the stalagmite and stalactite join).
Our guide was funny and said "if you breath this cave air you'll start seeing things in these formations."  Then he would point out different shapes, like a monkey, Santa Claus and a coca cola bottle.
I thought the coolest one was of this ship:  Can you see it! 
Some of the Columns were 60 ft tall!  Other's were tiny.   I'm so glad these caves were discovered so we could see their beauty. 
Us in front of the caves... 

Cave of wonder...I'm so glad we went.
                     I snapped these photos as we drove.  The leaves just started to change colors.

This concludes our restful, adventurous and beautiful vacation to Arkansas.

No comments: