Tuesday, February 11, 2025

January 18, 2025: Isak's First Cubing Competition

January 18 - Isak's Cubing Competition in Nashville.

Early Saturday morning,  Isak and I got ready and drove to Nashville for his first cubing competition.   It was at Vanderbilt's Student Life Center.  We got checked in and Isak did orientation for new cubers.  
Here's the schedule of events.
We found a table and chairs to share with other cubers while we waited for Isak's turn to compete.  It was pretty cool to see so many others with Isak's passion for cubing.  We met some neat kids!  
Isak competed in the Pyramix, 2x2 and 3x3.  
Here's the set up.  There were about 152 competitors.  
Isak got a 21 second solve for his 3x3.  That was his best time.  Yay!
Isak also got to judge others when he wasn't competing.  

For lunch, we walked to McAlister's and shared some food.  

After lunch, Nels brought the rest of the crew to watch Isak.  
There was a table with lots of cool and different cubes for the kids to play with and try out.  
Sofie and Noah were content to play there.  
All of the them tried out the different cubes and puzzles.  
I loved my time with Isak and watching him do something he loves!  

I loved how Isak went around asking other cubers questions and asked for tips too.  This guy sat with Isak for a little while and cubed with him and gave him tips.  Isak moved on to the second round of 3x3.  He helped judge the last round of 3x3.  We also watched blindfold 3x3, which was pretty amazing!  
I was so proud of Isak and how he interacts so kindly with others.   
We stayed for the whole thing.  Nels took the other kids home after a couple of hours.  Isak and I stayed from 7:40 am - 5:30 pm.  Isak got his picture with Luke Greisser who won the 3x3 with a 4.95 second solve time.  
Here's Isak's solve times:
Pyramix:
Best Time: 11.22
Average:  17.92

2x2:
Best Time: 6.10
Average:  7.99

3x3 Round 1:
Best Time: 21.52
Average:  26.86

3x3 Round 2:
Best Time: 23.80
Average:  26.88

I hope Isak continues to cube and enjoy this hobby.  I sure am proud of him and all he has learned about cubing.  

No comments: