One weekend in May, we decided to escape our problems and went on a little day trip. We visited Grandfather Mountain to see and walk across the mile high swinging bridge. Before we left, I was gently prompted to bring extra outfits for the kids. I rarely do that, but I am SO glad I did. We were about a half hour from the mountain when Isak threw up all over in the car. Luckily, we were able to pull over and get him all cleaned up, put the extra outfit on and continue on our way. Isak seemed a lot better after he threw up, so that was good. I think he had a little heat exhaustion from playing in the park the day before.
We finally arrived at Grandfather mountain and after waiting a half hour to get into the park, we quickly found a place to eat lunch.
The entrance fee was $20 per person...kids under four are free. A little pricey, but we had a good time. We were all happier after eating lunch at Mildred's Grill. Then we drove up to the swinging bridge.We climbed the steps to the metal swinging bridge. There's Isak and Nels leading the way and little Kira taking her time.
Before picture. I carried Kira and Nels carried Isak. The wind was blowing making the bridge sway. I forgot that Nels doesn't do well with heights...so he was pretty scared. I, on the other hand, find heights exhilarating and loved it.
Poor Nels. I made him stop in the middle of the bridge so I could take a selfie of our family. The wind was just blowing. This was the one and only family selfie. No second tries. Nels was not happy with me. But at least he smiled for the pic. :)
I didn't dare ask Nels to take a picture of me and Kira on the bridge...so another selfie. :)
At this point on the bridge we were exactly one mile above the ground.
Here's the view looking down.
And looking out west.And not on the bridge, but in front of the bridge, here's our pictures.
Isak decided it wasn't a big deal and led dad across the bridge. :)
I still carried Kira.
Here we are and you can see the bridge in the upper lefthand corner.
A few pictures safely on the ground and far away from the swinging bridge.
Kira's grin. :)
Isak didn't want to look at the camera.
We let the kids walk on the big rocks for a bit, but Isak didn't have the right shoes on. And Nels was very nervous about them falling. So it didn't last long. Isak loved it though.
Daddy to the rescue.
We walked through the nature park, and we saw this beautiful Bald Eagle.
And this big bear.
I love watching my kids watch and discover new things.
They were pretty fascinated by the bear.
A cougar!
There were all of these huge rock formations. I thought they were pretty cool. There were lots of hikes but our kids were pretty much done. It would be fun to hike around there some day.
After all that adventure, we needed some ice cream!Like Father, Like Son. :)
Mmmmm. Kira loves "pink" ice cream.
Isn't ice cream everyone's favorite part of an outing?? :)
Inside the gift shop they had these rocking chairs. The coloring was weird, so I thought it looked better in black and white.
And that was our day trip to Grandfather Mountain.
The kids were exhausted and slept the whole way home. We ended our fun outing with a nice dinner at Outback Steakhouse.
Good adventure and memory!
No comments:
Post a Comment