Wednesday, January 4, 2012

National Civil Rights Museum

One of the days Ericka, Malachi and I went to the National Civil Rights Museum.  Wow.  It was remarkable.  We learned about Martin Luther King Jr.'s assassination at Lorraine Motel on April 4, 1968.   We learned about the events leading up to the shooting and what happened afterwards. King came to Memphis to help and give support to striking sanitation workers.  We also listened to his last sermon "I've Been to the Mountaintop."  

Here's a quote from it:

"We've got some difficult days ahead. But it doesn't matter with me now. Because I've been to the mountaintop. And I don't mind. Like anybody, I would like to live a long life. Longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's will. And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. And I've seen the promised land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people, will get to the promised land. And I'm happy, tonight. I'm not worried about anything. I'm not fearing any man. Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord."   

He spoke slowly, allowing the words to sink in.  He really was a powerful speaker that moved people to action.  He gave the speech the night before he died. 

Rev. Samuel Billy Kyles was a witness to King's assassination.  He stood on the balacony with King at the time of the shooting.  We watched a video of him describing what he saw and felt that day. 

The museum is the actual motel where he was killed.  We walked through and saw the rooms just as they were in 1968.

Here's a few pictures:

Ericka and Malachi in front of the Lorraine Motel.  Malachi is such a good baby.  He ended up sleeping through most of it. 
On the other side of the wreath is where King was shot.  They had just walked out of their room 306.
Ericka in front of the quote from his last speech. "I may not get there with you but I want you to know that we as a people will get to the promised land."
Me, Ericka and sleeping Malachi.


Part of the museum is across the street.  This was where the assassin stayed and where he was positioned when he shot King.  James Earl Ray was captured and tried for the assassination.  Although it is believed that this wasn't the doing of one man, but rather a conspiracy. 
Me in front of the Lorraine Motel.  
I thoroughly enjoyed this educational experience.  It is definitely worth going to and I would be happy to go again with future visitors. : )

1 comment:

alyssa said...

Ok, I just need to start a list of all of the things that you've done so Jordan and I can do them too! I never know what is fun to do in Memphis:)