Thursday, June 7, 2018

2018 Trip to Nauvoo - Day 1

We decided to go to Nauvoo for a little spring break.  We thoroughly enjoyed it.  And if we are here next year, I want to make it an annual tradition.  We timed it perfectly too.  There were hardly any other visitors, so it felt like we had the whole place to ourselves!

We left for Nauvoo on Thursday, April 19.  We left at 9:30 a.m.  The only thing we forgot were sheets for the pack n plays, but we just used the extra sheets from the cabin.  So it worked out.

The babies napped for about an hour or so.  It's only a 4 hour drive.  We ate at McDonald's in Burlington about 45 minutes from Nauvoo.  Then we finished our drive to Nauvoo and arrived at our little log cabin.  

When we pulled up and saw our Van Fleet cabin we just laughed and laughed.  I laughed so hard I cried.  It was the smallest cabin there!  Cute, but small.  There was a cute chalkboard that said, "Welcome Nyborg Family!"  
The kids were thrilled and Loooooved this little cabin.

Inside was a queen bed, a fold out couch, bunk beds and a small bathroom.  I'm thinking the whole cabin was less than 100 sq ft.  The kids loved the bunk beds.  They played on the bunk beds whenever they could.  They called it their castle.
Lots of wood in this cabin.  Even the toilet paper holder was made of wood and the lock for the bathroom was a piece of wood that slid back and forth. (the babies liked to play with that too.)
Sofie and Noah loved the little stone pathway from the front door to the car.
They were excited to be outside. It was just a cool cabin and I loved having us all together nice and cozy.
We unloaded the car and then drove to the visitors center.
Nels and the babies talked with the couple missionaries.  I walked around with Isak and Kira.  We looked at the large statue of Christ.  I pointed out the nail prints in his hands and the spear wound in his side.  I bore testimony that Jesus died for us and that he lives again.  Kira said, "It looks like Jesus is hugging us."  Because his arms are out.  Then Isak held his arms out and said, "I'm hugging Jesus."  Sweet Moment.

Another sweet moment was when we saw the statue of the First Vision.  Kira asked what the statue was about.  So I was able to give a brief version of the First Vision.  It helped that Isak had just given a talk on Joseph Smith and the restoration in primary.  So I basically gave his talk.  :)  She listened and I think she understood it.  I was grateful for the opportunity to teach and to testify to my kids.
Then we went to the Scovil Bakery.  The kids did a good job listening to the sister missionary talk about Scovil and his life.  I learned that he was the one who drew the temple and then he printed the drawing on 1,000 plates while he was on his mission in Europe.  We all enjoyed the cookie afterwards.

Then we went to the Blacksmith shop and learned about how to make wagon wheels and horse shoes.    Poor Noah fell off the bench and smacked his head on the hard cement floor.
Isak and Kira picked out a prairie ring.
Then we went to the Brickyard.  The missionary spoke about building on a strong foundation and related it to the wise men building his house on the rock.  Kira leaned over to me and whispered.  "I have a question.  Ask him about the three little pigs."  :)  I didn't get the chance to ask, but I love that Kira thought of the strong brick house that kept the wolf out.  The Elder also related it to a foundation in Christ.
Everything closes at 5 p.m.  So we went to a little park and let the kids play for a bit.  Isak went down one slide and got his pants all wet.  So we stopped at the cabin for some pants.  Then we drove for 30 minutes to a Pizza Hut for dinner.  Two medium pizzas and some chicken alfredo and breadsticks for $25!  Pretty good.  

We went back to the cabin and got ready for bed.  Sofie and Noah talked and talked.  Then Sofie fell asleep and Noah cried and cried.  He finally fell asleep.  Then he woke up at 11 p.m.  I put him on the couch.  Then he woke up at 1:30 a.m.  He'd fallen off so I put him back on the couch.  Then he was up at 5:20 a.m.  I held him for a while and then took him to bed with me.  It was a long night.  Noah wasn't feeling well - cough.  I had a sore throat too.  Isak slept on the top bunk and Kira slept on the bottom bed.  Sofie, Isak and Kira all slept well both nights. 

Me in front of our little cabin.
Nels in from of the cabin.  I think our van was almost as big as the cabin.  haha.
The key was cute, an old antique key.
So that was our first day at Nauvoo!

No comments: