Wednesday, February 8, 2012

1st Day of Thanksgiving Vacation

One of these days I'll be completely caught up!  But it will be a while.  For now please enjoy Thanksgiving 2011.
We drove up to Brown County, IN and stayed in an adorable, red cabin.  Nels's parents arranged it all and did a fantastic job.  So a BIG thanks to them!  It was so good to spend a long weekend with them and explore Brown County.  So here's some pictures from Day 1 which was Thanksgiving Day.  (We arrived the night before, but it was late and we basically just went to bed. ;)
Here's the name of the cabin."Shady Hollow"
The cabin.  I just loved the red.  I loved the porch swing.  I loved the crisp Indiana weather.  I loved the naked trees and the leaves covering the ground. 
Mom Nyborg took this picture of us on the swing. 
Nels was in heaven because he convinced his parents to play the longest game ever, Cashflow.  He loved teaching them the game and talking and talking and talking. hehee.  They were very nice and patient and played the whole time. 

I love this picture because I can just hear his mom's sweet voice saying, "Oooh, my little lamb." 
Sven was good.  He has calmed down a lot!  He was guarding the door. 
This is the room Nels and I stayed in.  Fresh and clean. 
The living room/dining room had a fireplace that kept the whole cabin nice and toasty.  I like how they painted the window trim and baseboards red.

We had a lovely turkey with all the other fixin's.  Speaking of turkeys...there was a funny story about that this year.  Mom and Dad Nyborg bought an organic turkey.  We were all excited to try it.  The morning of Thanksgiving, we started to prepare the turkey.  But Mom and I thought it smelled terrible! 

So Nels and Dad quickly went to the store to get another one.  When they got back Nels said, "I asked the butcher at the grocery store if the organic turkey was okay.  He smelled it and said it was fine.  He said that organic turkeys just stink, especially when they’re cooking.  But that it was perfectly fine.  He just warned us that it will make the whole house smell terrible." 

Mom was not happy, but went to work to prepare the turkey for the oven.  "What is this pop up timer in the turkey?" she asked.  (The organic one did not have one.)  Nels explained, "Oh, the butcher put one in for us."  He just kept it going and going.  Until Mom noticed the label on the turkey and that it weighed 10 pounds more than the organic one.  Finally Mom said, "This is not the same turkey!!!"  hahaha! 

Nels had her going for a while and she thought the whole house was going to reek.  Fortunately, he was joking and we had a new turkey to eat that didn't smell, and the organic turkey spent thanksgiving in the dumpster behind the grocery store.

The End.
Picture of us eating thanksgiving dinner at the table. 

No comments: