Thursday, December 2, 2010

Jamestown, VA

Our last Saturday in Virginia we went to Jamestown which was the first permanent English Settlement, established May 14, 1607. Below is a picture of the fort. The British flag is flying and if you squint and look closely you can see the statue of John Smith on the left. We enjoyed this day of learning and exploring.
Statue of Pocahontas. The story of Pocahontas and John Smith is so different from the Disney movie. :) But it was still interesting to learn. Pocahontas, after converting to Christianity, changed her name to Rebecca.
Captain John Smith, Governor of Virginia. He certainly was adventurous.
Model of the fort. It looks a lot better than the one I made out of Popsicle sticks in the fifth grade.
The red brick tower is the last of the settlements church.
We went to a museum where they show artifacts they have found in Jamestown. There was a section on skeletons they found. Through science, we can learn the person's ethnicity, age, possible death, illnesses, DNA, social status and more. I was totally fascinated. They had a skeleton displayed of a young man that had a bullet visible in the bone. I don't know why I enjoyed learning about this, now that I'm writing this, it seems kind of morbid. Oh, well.
Next we saw a glass blowing demonstration. Nels and I watched forever. We both loved watching the process, beginning to end, of how to make a glass.
Amazing, isn't it?
After Jamestown we hopped on (or rather drove onto) a ferry called Pocahontas to take us up the James River. Beautiful boat ride.
Looking good Nels!
Near, Far, Wherever you are. Yes, we were a little embarrassed to ask someone to take our picture as we posed. But I couldn't resist.
Farewell Jamestown.

1 comment:

Train Gang said...

Becky, How do you do it? You get cuter/hotter with age! That just isn't fair. Love your new look.