Friday, March 21, 2008

Engagement

Five years ago Nels popped the big question. Here's my side of the story.

After school on Friday, Nels picked me up and we went to Salt Lake. It was probably about 6:30 or 7 p.m. when we got there. We were just window shopping and taking our time, but Nels was acting really weird. He wasn't talking very much and he seemed on edge. Nels had made reservations at the Melting Pot for 8 p.m. So after walking around a bit, we went to the restaurant. The waitress took us back to our booth table. On the table are three red roses in a vase. I looked at the other tables and they didn't have any roses. "Oh, thank you Nels for the flowers!" He just kind of smiles...he's still acting pretty weird. I try to start a conversation with him, and then suddenly he is down on one knee next to my seat. I don't remember everything he said, but I do remember this part, "Rebecca Daisy will you marry me..." he was about to say something else but I jumped in with "Yes!" Then he finished with something like "and be with me forever." Then I said yes again. Then he put the ring on my finger. The waitress came by and took our picture. After that Nels was normal and talked and talked. The dinner was amazing and truly a night to remember!
Here's the photo that we had taken. Don't we look so young and innocent?


Here's Nels' version of the evening:

I picked up the ring that afternoon. It came in a wooden box. I was really nervous and excited because I knew what I was going to do! We had gone ring shopping earlier in our relationship, so Becky knew that sooner or later I might propose. We had narrowed the ring choice down to three, but I knew the one I got was her favorite. She did not know about the diamond choice. I had to learn about diamonds, so that I could pick just the right one. I determined that she would have a really good 'cut' and 'clarity', so I got one that was cut to show 'hearts and arrows'. (I still think that the precision engineering shown on her diamond is amazing.)

Anyway, I had learned about the Melting Pot from Clark, who would soon be my best man. It was pretty late in the week to get an earlier time, so I figured we'd walk around Salt Lake City for a bit. However, I had that huge box in the pocket of my khaki pants; I wasn't wearing a jacket, so I just knew that Becky would notice it! When she'd walk on one side of me, I'd switch the box to the opposite pocket; luckily, she never caught me in the act! I just didn't want to hand her the ring all by itself when I asked her. (Hey, it's a cool looking box!)

I planned all day as to how to phrase what I was going to ask. I had it all worked out in my head, so I couldn't talk too much because I was sure I'd forget what I was going to say. It ends up that I could've phrased it, "Will you marry me?"; THAT would've been a LOT easier to remember....

I asked her, "Rebecca Daisy, will you marry me and be my best friend and lover accompanying me through life and eternity?" So, yeah, in hindsight, it's no wonder she'd forget my exact words because once a girl hears 'marry', she gets excited in either a really good or a really bad way. Well, I'm still thrilled that Becky said, "YES, YES, YES!" to me because she will always be my sweetheart.

4 comments:

Kayli said...

That was hilarious! I loved it.

The Holdaway's said...

Cute engagement story!

Stephanie said...

awww what a cute story. I have to ask how do you get your husband to post on your blog... I have had my blog for almost 3 years and Tait has YET to post anything on it... or even ask to post on it... LOL

Rachel said...

Cute stories and picture! It's so fun to hear about other people's life experiences, especially happy ones :)