Monday, August 22, 2011

Day 3--Last Day of Gatlinburg

We ate at one of the many pancake or Flapjack houses in Gatlinburg for breakfast.  I indulged myself with blueberry pancakes.  Afterwards we went on a scenic drive in the Smoky Mountains.  I loved it!  Trees everywhere. 
 We were driving along when cars started pulling off to the side.  We wondered why, then we saw the...BEAR!  Right there!  Nels jumped out of the car with the camera and started to walk down the road towards the oncoming car (pictured below).  Nels tried to get a picture of the bear.  He got a little bit of it in the woods.  Can you see the black spot about an inch across from the car?   
 
I zoomed in a bit on the picture to see it better...This was the first bear we saw together out in the wild!
 In total we saw a dear and 2 bears!!  The second bear crossed right in front of our car! I was too shocked and slow to take a picture of the one crossing in front of us.
Cabin in the woods:

This little cabin was interesting.  The background on this home is that the family wanted some color and so they used all the paint colors that were available at the time from Sears.  This included the blue/teal color, white and yellow.  We nicknamed it the Swedish house because it's the same color combination as the Swedish flag.

 Nels: Proud Swede.
 Isn't it cute all nestled back in the woods?
 The whole reason we went on the drive was to see the "Place of a Thousdand Drips."  There were so many cars that we didn't get a chance to stop right by it.  So the next place we could park was downhill about a quarter of a mile.  So we parked and hiked up the hill.  (We were both pretty sore from the hike the day before...there may have been some murmurring.  But that's okay.)
Here it is...You can kind of see all of the different places water is dripping from. 
 Since I made such a big deal about seeing it, I thought I better take a picture of myself in front of it. 
 Nels made it, and climbed up closer to the water for a photo.
That was the last stop on the Scenic drive.  It was almost noon and time to head back to Memphis.  We made it home safe and sound.  We even had time to unpack and get settled for the week. 

Finally, I'm done with the trip that happened over a month ago!  Oh well, stay tuned for more updates.  :)

No comments: