Monday, February 9, 2009

Great Recipe

I had been looking for a good chicken taco soup and came across this one. It takes a little bit of time, but Nels and I both loved it. It's from Betty Crocker.

Tortilla Soup
6 corn tortillas (6 inch)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 small onion, chopped (1/3 cup)
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 medium Anaheim, poblano or jalapeƱo chile, seeded, chopped
1 carton (32 oz) Progresso® reduced-sodium chicken broth (4 cups)
1 can (14.5 oz) Muir Glen® organic fire roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
1/2 teaspoon coarse (kosher or sea) salt
1 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken
1 ripe medium avocado
1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese (2 oz)
Chopped fresh cilantro, if desired
1 lime, cut into wedges


1. Cut tortillas in half; cut halves into 1/4-inch strips. In 3-quart saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook strips in oil, 1/3 at a time, until light brown and crisp. Remove from pan; drain on paper towels.


2. Heat oil remaining in saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add garlic and chile; cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring frequently, until vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir in broth, tomatoes and salt. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 15 minutes. Add chicken; heat until hot.

3. To serve, peel and pit avocado. Cut into 1-inch slices. Divide half of tortilla strips among 4 individual serving bowls. Ladle in soup. Top with avocado and cheese; garnish with remaining tortilla strips and cilantro. Serve with lime wedges.

Makes 4 servings

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

How cute!!!!!
I put it on the menu for the 24th!!
Thank you so much
Love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

so I am gonna have to make this someday when I have a bit more time on my hands. Then we can pretend like we're all together hanging out again. :) Miss you guys! Oh and congrats on your new job! Hope you're liking it still.

Rachel said...

I think we had this at our super bowl party, it was great!

Hope you guys are doing well!

Michael Judson said...

Hey Becky this is me michael did you know that abby named her love frog webkinz Becky?

Michael Judson said...

Hey Becky this is me michael did you know that abby named her love frog webkinz Becky?

Whitney said...

Hey I'll have to try it. It looks good. Thanks for sharing.